Just under two million small taxpayers stopped paying their quota as a result of the fall in economic activity and income
Almost 2 million monotributistas, which represents almost 50% of the total, accumulated debts with the Federal Administration of Public Revenues (AFIP) due to the economic crisis caused by the Covid-19.
According to data from the tax body, 1,955,832 small taxpayers, out of a universe of 4,080,151 registered, stopped paying their monotax quota in recent months. The reason was the sharp drop in economic activity and income.
This situation led to the Government’s decision to present the Monotributo Fiscal Relief Program in Congress, an update of scales with a progressive criterion and maintaining the value of the monthly fee.
Changes in the monotax: the main points of the project
- The project eliminates the retroactive payment with which monotributistas will not have to face any accumulated debt due to the resulting difference between what they paid between January and June and the new values established by law 27,618.
- The initiative also establishes that in July a new scale update with a progressive criterion, which increases the cap for category A by 77% compared to December 2020, for example. Throughout the project, the increments that will have scales are set in which the lowest can double the billing amounts.
The new scales proposed by the project.
- Another central point is that those who exceeded the billing planned in their category may remain in the scheme as long as they do not exceed the annual turnover of $ 5.55 million and an equity of up to $ 6.5 million.
- Likewise, a payment plan is contemplated to regularize the debt of the monotributistas, with a maximum of 60 installments, a financing interest not exceeding 1.5% per month, for debts that had been paid in current and expired plans, and for taxpayers who do not enter the Monotax Tax Relief.
- In the case of the highest categories from E to K, they must pay a “special fee” for only this time.
- A payment plan is also contemplated to regularize the debt of the monotributistas, with a maximum of 60 installments, a financing interest of no more than 1.5% per month for debts that had been paid in current and expired payment plans, and for taxpayers who do not enter the Monotax Tax Relief.
This project seeks to provide greater fiscal relief and predictability to the economic activity of monotributistas that add up to a total of 4,080,151 taxpayers; of which 1,592,466 (39%) are in the Metropolitan Area of Buenos Aires (AMBA), and 2,487,685 (61%) in the rest of the country.
The commission also gave a majority opinion on a project aimed at expanding exemptions in the Income and Personal Property Tax for financial investment assets in local currency.
The objective is to establish tax incentive measures, in order to encourage investment in financial instruments issued in national currency.
The initiative exempts the payment of Earnings from the interest originated in the deposits made in financial institutions in national currency, as well as for the interests and returns resulting from the placement of capital in instruments issued in national currency destined to promote productive investment.
Tax relief for monotributistas: the complete project
The bill that cancels the retroactive adjustment to January of the Monotax installments and establishes that the new values -with a rise of 35.3% – They will start to apply from July.
The initiative expands the billing levels of the different Monotax categories with respect to 2020 and establishes a regularization and fiscal relief of debts that may have accumulated monotributistas, without the payment of interest, penalties and other penalties.
The project bears the signature of Sergio Massa, President of the Chamber of Deputies, and Deputy Máximo Kirchner ,. It is called “Strengthening and Fiscal Relief Program for Small Taxpayers. “Access the full text of the initiative:
The project establishes that “the monthly value of the categories to be paid -integrated tax and social security contributions (includes social work) – of the Simplified Regime corresponding to the months of January to June 2021, both inclusive, will be the one in force for the month of December 2020 for each of the categories, respectively”.
The initiative also expands from $ 3,530,303 to $ 3,700,000 As of July 1, the maximum billing value to be included in the Monotax. The lowest category, A, increases the allowable gross income from $ 282,424 to $ 370,000.
The project also includes a regularization plan for unpaid installments and overdue debts or infractions committed as of June 30, 2021 for the tax, pension and social work components, with the “exemption and / or remission of interest, fines and other penalties”.
They are included in the regularization “the obligations that are in the course of discussion administrative, contentious, administrative or judicial, as of the date of publication of this law in the Official Gazette. “The project also adds -” payment facility plans in force as of the date of promulgation of this law may be reformulated. ”
According to the text of the initiative, “1,955,832 monotributistas register non-payment in the Simplified Regime”, approximately half of the total.
While, monotributistas who exceeded the upper limit of billing or gross income will remain in the Monotax “as long as they do not exceed the new limits.
In order to “make the proposal progressively” and prevent it from being used in an “abusive manner”, the initiative clarifies that only monotributistas will be able to access the Program that the total assets in the country and abroad are taxed and exempt -without any type of non-taxable minimum- In the Personal Property Tax, do not exceed $ 6,500,000, without considering the “House Room”.
Likewise, monotributistas of categories H, I, J, K must pay a “special fee” equivalent at 2 times the monthly value of its category.
Monotributistas who cannot access the benefits “They will be considered excluded from this regime from 0 hours of the day on which the upper limit of gross income has been exceeded. of the highest category that corresponded to the activity. “The amount arising from the regularization may be paid in cash or in 60 installments at 1.5% monthly interest.
“The National Executive Power will regulate this law within 30 calendar days from the effective date of the same “, concludes the project.